Looking for the best laptop for EVO

place for nice projects
Dmytro_Z

Looking for the best laptop for EVO

Post by Dmytro_Z » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:30 am

Hi everyone!

I'm going to buy a new laptop for my work to use DIALux EVO on it when I'm not in the office.
If you have a laptop which can running EVO projects without problems, could you please share its model or characteristics?
I can simply select by recommended characteristics on DIAL website, but would be better to hear real feedback from colleagues :)
I would be very appreciated for any info you guys can provide! Even if the laptop will be insanely expensive :D

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Dmytro

T.Magenheimer

Re: Looking for the best laptop for EVO

Post by T.Magenheimer » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:52 am

Dear Dmytro_Z,

Please have a look at the following article of our DIALux evo knowledge base, which shows you an overview of our system requirements:

http://evo.support-en.dial.de/support/s ... quirements

As far as the performance (the calculation) is concerned, the graphics card hardly plays a role. The calculation runs completely on the CPU, so the GPU has no influence. The GPU is important "only" for the visualization/display of the CAD, i.e. working in the CAD is much more fluid for complex projects with many surfaces and large textures when using a modern graphics card with a lot of VRAM. For "normal" projects even the GPU cores in the modern Intel/AMD CPUs are good enough. A lot of VRAM brings advantages in that there is less danger that the texture memory runs out in very complex projects. This is especially relevant for large projects and very high resolutions (4K+).

The RAM size doesn't matter as long as enough RAM is available. With a maximum RAM usage of 0.9GB, it probably makes no difference whether 4GB or 32GB are installed. As long as there is enough RAM available (for evo and all other processes), more RAM does not bring any speed advantage.
The RAM speed will probably have an influence, but I assume (without having measured it) that the influence is relatively manageable (<5%).

The CPU (clock frequency and number of cores/threads: 4/8 @ 4GHz vs 6/12 @ 4GHz) is probably the most important factor for the calculation. If possible, the calculation uses all available threads for the calculation. Desktop systems have an advantage here, of course. With notebooks there is always the possibility that the system throttles the CPU at longer full load in order not to overheat. Whether this is already a factor with the system and after 5-10 min, I cannot say.

For fast calculations in evo, high-end CPUs like Intel i9 or AMD Ryzen 7 with many cores and a high clock rate will deliver the best performance. Maybe an AMD Ryzen Threadripper would also be interesting. As I said, these are theoretical considerations.
If I personally would put together a system just for evo (and pay attention to price/performance), then that would probably be something like:

CPU: Intel i7/i9 or AMD Ryzen 7 (8+ cores)
RAM: 16GB (2600MHz+)
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660 6GB or AMD Radeon RX 570/580 8GB

In addition a fast SSD and a good but quiet cooling.

Best regards,
Your DIAL Support Team