Dialux evo 8.1 CAD viewport crashing

crashes, error report
mesrop_lighting

Dialux evo 8.1 CAD viewport crashing

Post by mesrop_lighting » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:01 pm

Hello everyone!
I am new to this forum but a long time evo user.
Recently upgraded to a new workstation and started having very strange problems, cant even find anything even remotely similar online.
During a usual working process, the CAD viewport in evo would crash, everything will turn white and wont update and refresh the view when moving around, becoming more and more distorted instead. See the attached screenshots. It happens very randomly - no matter the loaded project and can occur after working for just 5 minutes on it or 15 or 25. Calculation and different plan views dont matter either, though usually it happens when moving around in 3d view.
Maybe worth noting is the fact that its an all-AMD machine (Ryzen 2700x CPU and Vega 56 GPU, without any additional integrated or discrete GPUs), as previously I had only worked with Intel+Nvidia machines. Initially thought it only occurred with projects created on my previous workstation and suspected some sort of AMD incompatibility thing, even though it didnt make any sense, but its now been the case with new projects created on this machine as well. Fortunately, the program itself would still be running fine afterwards, allowing me to save the project and restart evo, but nothing else can fix the viewport - switching between views, tabs, etc. - nothing.
Some additional info - it seemingly occurs sooner on heavier and bigger projects that have 3ds objects in them or just larger areas, but once even a project without any buildings and only with an image underlay as a plan and some lums/calc zones crashed after 10 minutes of working in the viewport. Also, it seems that once a crash happens on a project, after saving and reopening it, the next crashes are more and more frequent unless I restart the whole PC. Running 2 identical monitors via DisplayPort and crashes happened on both of them.
Needless to say, I have all the latest drivers and updates from Microsoft and AMD, running Windows 10. Tried a fresh install of evo, but to no avail. And since the settings menu is incredibly dumbed-down, I have no idea what else I can possibly do to fix the issue.
If I had to guess, I would say it is indeed an AMD graphics issue, some kind of a rare bug in Dialux code that perhaps only affects AMD Vega GPUs, but maybe not Nvidia, hence its so rare and unknown at this point.
Hoping someone might be able to help.
Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (188.22 KiB) Viewed 1382 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (179.91 KiB) Viewed 1382 times

T.Magenheimer

Re: Dialux evo 8.1 CAD viewport crashing

Post by T.Magenheimer » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:56 am

Dear mesrop_lighting,

It could also be that two graphic cards are installed on your computer. In this case you should switch from the integrated graphic card to the dedicated graphic card. Please have a look at the following threads from our DIALux board:

http://dxboard.dialux.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=80338
http://dxboard.dialux.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=80337
http://dxboard.dialux.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=78016

Best regards,
Your DIAL Support Team

mesrop_lighting

Post by mesrop_lighting » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:20 am

Thanks for the reply.
I kind of knew that someone would say that, hence I specifically mentioned that there are no other GPUs, discrete or integrated.
Again, have the latest drivers and updates(happened on the 18.2.3 AMD driver and the 19.1.1 latest update didnt help), and tried a fresh evo install as well, but no luck.

kvkozierowski

Post by kvkozierowski » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:39 am

Hello mesrop_lighting,

I think you are completely right and your assumtion is probably correct:
If I had to guess, I would say it is indeed an AMD graphics issue, some kind of a rare bug in Dialux code that perhaps only affects AMD Vega GPUs, but maybe not Nvidia, hence its so rare and unknown at this point.
We use the OpenGL driver for the evo CAD view and every manufacturer implements its own version for the GPUs. There are always small differences between the standard implementations. Sometimes there are bugs in the evo code that nevertheless work flawless on most systems as the driver can deal with it but it might cause problems on systems that use a driver that sticks 100% to the standard. On the other hand sometimes the driver expect some special code or a special initalisation that the standard does not require. In both cases we will not recognize it until we try out and debug the exact combination of evo version and GPU/driver. With that said, we use only Intel/Nvidia GPU at the moment.

Perhaps another user has a Vega GPU and can report if these problems are a systematic problem or an individual incompatibility.

Update: We have received a feedback from another user that the problem does not occur with driver version 18.12.3 but with 19.1.2. Perhaps you can check out the older version and give us a short reply if this solves the problem for you. For the meantime we will try to analyze the issue with the newest driver version and evo and fix or work around it in one of the next evo versions.

Best regards
Kolja

mesrop_lighting

Post by mesrop_lighting » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:36 am

Thanks Kolja!
At least now I will have some peace of mind knowing it is out of my hands and not my machines fault.
I assembled the PC in late December last year and 18.2.3 was the latest driver at the time, so I have only had 18.2.3 and 19.1.1 so far and Dialux crashed under both of them.
If it is specific to Vega cards, perhaps the fact that they are using HBM2 VRAM instead of the far more ubiquitous GDDR5 might be the issue here, even though I am monitoring VRAM usage during working and it never even reaches 25% of the total 8GB VRAM.
The "feeling", however, is that it crashes whenever something "fills up" but shouldnt, under normal circumstances.
After updating to 19.1.2 and future versions, I will report in this thread whether it fixed itself or still crashing. Don't think AMD might be of any help though, at this point their updates are always focused on improving gaming performance.
Hoping many more users who have the issue will let you know, so you guys will fix this sooner rather than later. Don't hesitate to contact me if I can be of any help.

mesrop_lighting

Post by mesrop_lighting » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:28 pm

Update with 19.1.2.

Well, no surprises here, it is still happening, even after a clean install of the 19.1.2 driver. By clean, I mean I deleted everything regarding the previous driver, even entries in registry, before installing the new one, but no luck. That also means reinstalling Windows would pretty much be pointless to try at this point, especially since we already know this isnt isolated to my machine anyway. Hoping to hear from you guys soon regarding a fix to be implemented in Dialux evo. Around when can we expect it? I know its not going to happen overnight, but hoping it will not take months either.

beta-pt

Post by beta-pt » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:22 pm

|I have some problems.. AMD vega 8 18.40.16 Lenovo laptop
Přemysl Tomšovic - Accredited trainer
Top osvětlení s.r.o.
http://www.top-osvetleni.cz
http://www.top-osvetleni.cz/sluzby/vypocty-osvetleni

beta-pt

Post by beta-pt » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:25 pm

I tried install new patch 2. We will see.
Přemysl Tomšovic - Accredited trainer
Top osvětlení s.r.o.
http://www.top-osvetleni.cz
http://www.top-osvetleni.cz/sluzby/vypocty-osvetleni

kvkozierowski

Post by kvkozierowski » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:36 pm

Hello,

Thank you all for your reply. We are further investigating the issue. The Patch 2 should not contain any changes concerning the CAD.
We wonder if you would be so kind and fill out the AMD feedback form for the graphics adapter driver: https://www.feedback.amd.com/se/5A1E27D21217CA3B
If it is a GPU driver issue this might help.

Best Regards
Kolja