Walls do not render in calculation

crashes, error report
pks

Walls do not render in calculation

Post by pks » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:45 am

Hello all,

There are a few walls that never render properly like the rest of the surfaces. These walls always stay "standard" flat grey without any light visualisation. I have checked numerous things, like building geometry, floor geometry, etc., but am out of idea's. What causes this error?

Looking forward to some help, the rest of the model looks amazing!
Attachments
dialux-evo-walls-do-not-render-02.jpg
dialux-evo-walls-do-not-render-02.jpg (94.69 KiB) Viewed 770 times
dialux-evo-walls-do-not-render-01.jpg
dialux-evo-walls-do-not-render-01.jpg (108.3 KiB) Viewed 770 times

Csuleiman

Re: Walls do not render in calculation

Post by Csuleiman » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:15 am

Hello pks,

We wonder if you could send us your evo project file. We would like to check the problem directly in this project. If the file is too big, you can send it to us via WeTransfer (www.wetransfer.com).
It would be of help if you could send us the link to this topic so that we could better assign this issue.
Our email address is 'Support@dial.de'.

Best regards,
DIAL Support Team

T.Magenheimer

Post by T.Magenheimer » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:05 pm

Hello pks,

For me it was no problem to calculate your project file so that all walls were properly calculated.

I suspect that on your computer the project was not calculated completely, because the main memory on your computer was too full.

You can try two things: First, you can delete the imported DWG from the project file because they can be too complex to calculate. If the problem continues to occur on your computer, it is the imported 3D objects that are too complex to calculate on your computer.

Every surface of a 3D model has to be calculated separately and if the sum of the 3D models (and the surfaces) are too complex for the calculation or the performance of DIALux, it could give a lack of internal main memory in our DIALux software. This is the reason why maybe the calculation interrupts or takes some hours or it gives problems with the calculation, etc..

We would recommend every user to search for alternative 3DS objects with less surfaces. The key is to find a good compromise between a realistic visualization and moderate quantity of surfaces.

I will send you your calculated project file in a few minutes WeTransfer.

Best regards,
DIAL Support Team

pks

Post by pks » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:15 am

Thanks for the quick reply. How can I see if the "main memory" is full? What is "main memory"?

I did not expect my computer to be too slow for this calculation. Next year I will update my system for a quicker one, but now I am using a Windows 10 64-bit machine with 4-core Intel i7-4790 3.6GHz processor with 8 GB RAM memory and a NVIDIA Quadro K620 2GB graphics card. This is much more than the requirements and should work fine. Could you provide the details of your system as an example?

I will eliminate some elements to see if that helps, and look for some simpler 3D objects...

pks

Post by pks » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:24 am

It was the sofa! I removed it and all calculation run perfecty and quickly. Lesson for today: be careful with complicated 3DS files!

Still I would appreciate it if you can answer the questions about main memory and system specs. Thanks!
Attachments
dialux-evo-walls-do-not-render-03.jpg
dialux-evo-walls-do-not-render-03.jpg (165.13 KiB) Viewed 735 times

T.Magenheimer

Post by T.Magenheimer » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:17 pm

Dear pks,

Please have a look at the following article of our DIALux evo knowledge base, which shows you an overview of our system requirements:

http://evo.support-en.dial.de/support/s ... quirements

As far as the performance (the calculation) is concerned, the graphics card hardly plays a role. The calculation runs completely on the CPU, so the GPU has no influence. The GPU is important "only" for the visualization/display of the CAD, i.e. working in the CAD is much more fluid for complex projects with many surfaces and large textures when using a modern graphics card with a lot of VRAM. For "normal" projects even the GPU cores in the modern Intel/AMD CPUs are good enough. A lot of VRAM brings advantages in that there is less danger that the texture memory runs out in very complex projects. This is especially relevant for large projects and very high resolutions (4K+).

The RAM size doesn't matter as long as enough RAM is available. With a maximum RAM usage of 0.9GB, it probably makes no difference whether 4GB or 32GB are installed. As long as there is enough RAM available (for evo and all other processes), more RAM does not bring any speed advantage.
The RAM speed will probably have an influence, but I assume (without having measured it) that the influence is relatively manageable (<5%).

The CPU (clock frequency and number of cores/threads: 4/8 @ 4GHz vs 6/12 @ 4GHz) is probably the most important factor for the calculation. If possible, the calculation uses all available threads for the calculation. Desktop systems have an advantage here, of course. With notebooks there is always the possibility that the system throttles the CPU at longer full load in order not to overheat. Whether this is already a factor with the system and after 5-10 min, I cannot say.

For fast calculations in evo, high-end CPUs like Intel i9 or AMD Ryzen 7 with many cores and a high clock rate will deliver the best performance. Maybe an AMD Ryzen Threadripper would also be interesting. As I said, these are theoretical considerations.
If I personally would put together a system just for evo (and pay attention to price/performance), then that would probably be something like:

CPU: Intel i7/i9 or AMD Ryzen 7 (8+ cores)
RAM: 16GB (2600MHz+)
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660 6GB or AMD Radeon RX 570/580 8GB

In addition a fast SSD and a good but quiet cooling.

Best regards,
Your DIAL Support Team