a few simple questions and commenst for an external project

questions regarding the handling of DIALux evo. (features, tools, options, settings)
kippax

a few simple questions and commenst for an external project

Post by kippax » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:48 am

1/ An apparently well lit car park is still giving a value of "0 Lux" for the minimum and therefore making the figures that the client wants to see an irrelevance. I have used a number of slim floor elements to create the islands within the area. Is it counting the zero values beneath these elements and if so why would it do that ?

2/ How do I break a luminaire arrangement into individual fittings because adjusting fittings within an arrangement seems a very hit and miss affair ?

3/ When I use the function "Copy along a line" to create a run of luminaires (it's often a more convenient method than "create line arrangement") does it duplicate the first luminaire. The duplicate is almost impossible to see unless you notice the increase in light levels locally and then double check on the print out of luminaire positions and check for duplicated co-ordinates.

4/ Luminaire number in the project and the luminaire number in the print out of positions does not appear to match. Not very convenient.

Appreciate any answers to the questions above.

I'm very familiar with DIALux, but a relative newcomer to DIALux Evo and I must admit that so far I have not been mightily impressed.

kvkozierowski

Re: a few simple questions and commenst for an external project

Post by kvkozierowski » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:08 am

Hello kippax,

Please let me give you some short answers to your questions:

1) If you use the "Results on surface" feature and cover parts of the surface with floor elements that is the correct and expected behavior. It is dark under the floor element and DIALux does not know that you use it to model islands or markings on a parking area. To get the results without the dark areas you can add a calculation surface and cut out the islands. Please have a look here: https://dxboard.dialux.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=84039

2) It is not possible to break up a luminaire arrangement into individual luminaires in evo at the moment. Can you please describe the problem in detail?

3) When you draw the line directly from your first luminaire to the end point you are right, the first copied luminaire is placed at the start point of the line. Perhaps the easiest workaround is it to place the first luminaire with a slight offset, use the copy along a line feature and delete the original luminaire.
The line arrangement feature has some problems, we will improve it in future versions.

4) I am not sure if I understand your point correctly, would you please add the screenshots?

Best Regards
Kolja

kippax

Post by kippax » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:33 am

Point 2 -- after some digging around I have now solved this problem.

Point 3 -- This is what I ended up doing but it's not ideal.

Point 4 -- I now have bigger problems to worry about having discovered the problems with Point 1. The issue with omitting figures which are intersected by solid objects is serious. It double the work when constructing the model. I have spent hours constructing these elements and now have to duplicate that work to create cut-outs for the results. When combined with speed issues with editing elements that I am currently experiencing, my initial thought is to abandon this and start again with Relux !

kvkozierowski

Post by kvkozierowski » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:59 am

I just checked it again and I must correct my last answer.

This issue should not happen if you use floor elements for the islands but it will happen with extrusion volumes (objects and furnitures). The floor elements should be cut out automatically from the surface results and from your calculation surfaces.

Regards
Kolja

kippax

Post by kippax » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:07 pm

Think I know what the problem is here and hopefully there is a workaround.

The figures include values right up against the kerb, actually in the shadow of the kerb which are therefore very low. Is it possible to delete individual points ?

kvkozierowski

Post by kvkozierowski » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:40 pm

Unfortunately it is not possible to delete individual points.

You can edit the measuring grid on a calculation surface and use cutouts to remove the unwanted points. An adaptive calculated surface result object has no grid points you can delete, you can just change the value chart settings.

If it is ok for you, you can move the calculation surface just 1mm below kerb height. This would solve the shadow problem but you will get the results a bit above the ground.

I have no other idea how to solve it without additional manual work at the moment.