Several Questions

questions regarding the handling of DIALux evo. (features, tools, options, settings)
RickR

Several Questions

Post by RickR » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:53 pm

I have returned to Dialux after several years with other software. I have several issues I can not solve with the manual or tutorials.

Since I've seen that you like to look at project files here is a link to my rather large file. (125GB) For your information, my system is a workstation class Dell Precision with i7-2.7Ghz, 32GB ream and Nvidea Quatdro K1100M video. It never shows more than 35% of CPU or memory in use.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rx4l4oys0pesa ... s.evo?dl=0

1- Documentation is extremely slow. Making any selection or change takes 15-45 minutes. This is always after calculations.
2- I currently have 1 assessment zone, 2 calculation surfaces and 2 other surfaces for reporting light levels. Only the assessment zone appears in the documentation list. The others show in the reporting tool, and used to be in documentation.
3- Importing 3Ds often leaves some surfaces facing the wrong way. I use Vectorworks for 3D modeling and it does not have an option to force all surfaces to be double sided. I have tried IFC import but only once did the process complete and then very poorly.
4- Give the complexity of the auditorium (the only space I will be calculating) can you recommend other construction methods? Certainly leaving out the chairs would make for a smaller file, but I need to know their size and placement. My full model is even more complex.
5- Can you explain the differences between; assessment zones, calculation surfaces, work planes, visual task areas, and areas of activity. Why use one vs the others? Many of the forum responses have been to use assessment zones, so I am not the only one that is confused.
6- Calculation time seems slow as well. It varies as I work but runs to an hour or more, even when I did not have all the chairs in the model.

I look forward to your thoughts.

T.Magenheimer

Re: Several Questions

Post by T.Magenheimer » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:35 am

Dear RickR,

1) Your inserted 3D object is defintely too complex for the calculation process of our evo software.

If the 3DS objects consists of too many surfaces then some serious performance problems could occur in DIALux.
Every surface of a 3D model has to be calculated separately and if the sum of the 3D models (and the surfaces) are too complex for the calculation or the handling of DIALux, it could give a lack of main memory during the calculation or performance problems in our DIALux evo documentation. This is the reason why maybe the calculation interrupts or takes some hours or it gives problems you described

We would recommend every user to search for alternative 3DS objects with less surfaces. The key is to find a good compromise between a realistic visualization and moderate quantity of surfaces.

2) You have to activate the option “Generate outputs for this storey”.

Screenshot1.JPG
Screenshot1.JPG (148.8 KiB) Viewed 710 times
Screenshot2.JPG
Screenshot2.JPG (176.23 KiB) Viewed 710 times

3) It is necessary that all surfaces of the 3D objects are double sided.

4) You can use the chairs of our object catalogue.

5) Please search for these terms in our DIALux evo knowledge base: http://evo.support-en.dial.de/support/home

6) Have a look at the answer of question 1. The only workaround is to calculate the project file without objects and furniture.
Screenshot 3.JPG
Screenshot 3.JPG (78.05 KiB) Viewed 710 times

Kind regards,
Your DIAL Support team