ESCAPE ROUTE LIGHTING IN DILAUX EVO_7

questions regarding the handling of DIALux evo. (features, tools, options, settings)
JYS@89

ESCAPE ROUTE LIGHTING IN DILAUX EVO_7

Post by JYS@89 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:39 am

Hii

Can you please let me know that is it possible to create Escape route lighting scene in dialux evo_7, as it possible in dialux _4 version that we can create all three light scene (normal , emergency and escape route).

thanks in advance .

Csuleiman

Re: ESCAPE ROUTE LIGHTING IN DILAUX EVO_7

Post by Csuleiman » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:43 pm

Dear JYS@89,

No, it is not possible to do emergency lighting in evo. Up to know we have planned to implement the feature of emergency lighting in evo at the end of this year - lately next year. Till then we would like to recommend you to use DIALux 4.13 for emergency lighting planning.

Best regards,
DIAL Support Team

Csuleiman

Post by Csuleiman » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:16 am

Dear JYS@89,

We would like to provide you and other users with some more information why we unfortunately cannot suggest to use workarounds for calculating emergency lighting. No reflection would be better in evo 7.1 than 0% reflectance. However, this is not enough. After a new reading of the standard, the planner can consider the first reflection. There would be neither "just calculate directly" nor 0% reflectance a solution. Here, a corresponding calculation process must be implemented in evo.

Furthermore, the planned areas are not a substitute for the issue of a "real" escape route or an anti-panic area. Required is explicitly the compliance of 1lx on the center line and 0,5lx halfway. These results are not obtained in evo.

In the Lighting Guide 12 of the SLL, for example, there is the 0.2lx possibility for "Permanently unobstructed" for escape routes revised. At least, this is the case in the new BS EN 1838.

This is just our opinion:
With DIALux evo you can calculate no emergency lighting. We could not suggest using assessment zones or calculation surfaces as a workaround.

Many products of our partners have luminaires with emergency light emitting objects (LEO) in the plugins. These are only used if an emergency lighting scene is present. In evo you can not "turn it on". So you can not use the luminaires with emergency lighting equipment. So, we would advise against recommendations for workarounds.

If you want to calculate emergency lighting, you have to switch to DIALux 4.13.

Best regards,
DIAL Support Team

Jack DG

Post by Jack DG » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:41 pm

Dear All,

I am inclined to agree with the response from the Dial Team.

However, if you use the 'calculation set' option and select the 'only direct light' option your results should be the worst case scenario. Therefore if you can achieve a compliant system using this calculation method, the scheme should work. Remembering that you are trying to achieve a minimum of 1 lux (for example) - so if in reality the levels are higher at say 5 lux, this is still compliant. This can result in your design having more emergency provision that is required. In my experience, this is never exasperated beyond what is considered reasonable for a life safety system - i.e. you will not have a client complaining that the emergency light levels are higher than the minimum required (unless of course you massively over-engineer the scheme achieving 50lux in emergency mode of something silly).

With regards to the evo model, what you're not able to do (at least not without a clever workaround), is create a general lighting scene and an emergency lighting scene in the same model, as the calculation method has to be the same for both. Personally, I build the model including both general and emergency lighting. I then do a 'save as' of the file calling one 'general lighting' and the other 'emergency lighting'. That way you can use a different calculation method for each file.

I would be interested to see what the Dial Team think of the above. Perhaps I have got this wrong and need to change my approach. I have (and still regularly do) cross-check my results with Dialux 4 and the differences are negligible.

Best

Jack DG

T.Magenheimer

Post by T.Magenheimer » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:41 am

Dear Jack DG,

We have made our point clear and right now, we recommend for the emergency lighting our DIALux 4.13 software. Because in this software the standard DIN EN 1838 is implemented. A workaround in DIALux evo doesn't make sense.

Kind regards,
Your DIAL Support Team

Jack DG

Post by Jack DG » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:37 am

Thank you T.Magenheimer,

Recieved and understood. In which case, it is reasonable to consider no longer using Dialux Evo.

It strikes me as unprofessional and extremely inefficient using different software to generate the same model for the same core principal of lighting calculations.

Jack DG

64_Richard

Post by 64_Richard » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:24 am

The best workaround I have come across is to calculate the Emergency Lighting in Dialux 4 and export the DWG. Then use this as a reference drawing in the original DWG and import all this into EVO.
The Non-Maintained lights can be added into a non calculated light scene, and the Maintained ones in the General Lighting.
This tidies the documentation up a bit. (I just use the Em Lighting results from 4 and and add them into the EVO output PDF...using Scribus).
A long winded way to achieve something that should be pretty simple.
It seems this is a commercial decision to keep two variants of the software on the market. Unfortunately, I hear more and more people moving over to an alternative software, for this very reason. Which is a shame because EVO is a really good bit of kit...Emergency lighting notwithstanding.