Mounting height issue when comparing two imported, recessed fixtures

questions regarding the handling of DIALux evo. (features, tools, options, settings)
mg_lumen

Mounting height issue when comparing two imported, recessed fixtures

Post by mg_lumen » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:53 pm

Hey all- new to evo, and have a question about speeding up the process of comparing the calcs for two imported, recessed fixtures.

From what I've gathered, imported .IES files will always be defined as surface mounted. The only way to get them to recess is by specifying the mounting height as the fixture height + ceiling height. Seems to work okay.

But for this job, I am comparing two fixtures with different heights. When I Replace all luminares of this type with the second fixture, they are no longer recessed (because mounting height is now wrong).

Is there any way I can change the mounting height for all of the replaced luminaires at once, or is the only way to do this by selecting every array/fixture individually to change their mounting heights?

BarrychaTs

Mounting height issue when comparing two imported recessed fixtures

Post by BarrychaTs » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:35 pm

Hi kikeblackberry,

A discussion like this is always appreciated

I think the differnt terms makes this confusion.
The Illuminating Engineering Society definition of mounting height seems pretty well to fit to the value which is called in DIALux Light center height. For this value the height of the working plane is considered. Of course theoretically if the user is moving the luminaire outside a room the value can be higher than the room but practically it will not also for recessed luminaires.

The value in DIALux called Mounting height refers from the floor to the mounting point/origin of the luminiare. For ceiling mounted luminaires this point is usually on the top which explains why the values can be higher than the room. This value is another one as defined as Mounting height in the IES definition. But I must say the same wording is confusing.

As you will probably know the IES photometry file format has no information about the height of the luminiare case. You will also not find a defintion called light center height or for the value which we call in DIALux Mounting height. In DIALux we support also other photometry file formats. Most technical terms are refering to the CIE definition.

From a logical perspective the names Light center height and Mounting height makes sense to me. Do you have an idea for better labels?

Best regards
Fabian