DIALux 4 Floodlight Arrangement Coordinates Discrepancy

jason

DIALux 4 Floodlight Arrangement Coordinates Discrepancy

Post by jason » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:56 pm

I need a little help here. I was tasked with designing the lighting for a multi use sports field, so I decided to use DIALux 4 instead of evo. When I set up my field and I scroll the cursor over the field the coordinates displayed at the bar at the bottom correspond to what I would expect given the size of the field. When I use the tape measure tool it gives me the correct distances. Where my problem comes in is when I use the Flood Light Arrangement tool. It will place a pole at the bottom right of the filed. When I look at the Arrangement of the flood light it gives me a X & Y coordinate position. The X value, given the size of the field, always makes sense and corresponds to what one might expect. However, the y coordinate never corresponds to the width of the field. I will move my cursor over the origin of the pole and the displayed x,y values for the cursor will match only for the x position of the pole. For example if my field is 200 feet long and 60 feet wide the x coordinate of the pole will be -100. This is to be expected if the zero reference point is the center of the field. You would expect the y coordinate for the pole then to be -30, but the Floodlight Arrangement menu might show it at -7. I move the cursor over the pole and the coordinates of the cursor show -100,-30 but the Floodlight Arrangement menu shows the light as being -100, -7. What is going on here? I am afraid that the discrepancy will throw things off when I export the design and expect the installer to follow the lighting alignment. Any help would be most appreciated.

T.Magenheimer

Re: DIALux 4 Floodlight Arrangement Coordinates Discrepancy

Post by T.Magenheimer » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:29 pm

Dear jason,

Please send us a problematic project file and some explaining screenshots of the problem with a link to this thread for an analysis to the mail address 'Support@dial.de'

Best regards,
Your DIAL Support Team

jason

Post by jason » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:10 pm

Here is a quick example. I simply started a new project and dropped in a football field. See picture below:

Note I have highlighted the field size, and the origin is located at the center of the field. The next picture shows the question I have.

Here I have used the Floodlight Arrangement tool and it placed the pole at the bottom corner of the filed. When I move the cursor over the pole the X,Y coordinates of the cursor is exactly what I would expect given the size of the filed and the placement of the origin (see first picture). I have highlighted the position of the cursor at the bottom right of the picture. However, if you look at the pole position indicated at the Arrangement section (see top left of the picture) you will note the X,Y coordinates for the pole placement do not correspond with the cursor. The X coordinate is exactly what I would expect given the size of the filed, but the Y coordinate is off. I am trying to figure out why the Y coordinate does not match the actual dimensions of the filed.

Csuleiman

Post by Csuleiman » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:48 pm

Hello Jason,

This is, unfortunately, a bug in the converting from metric to the imperial system. The y-value is incorrectly not converted from meters to feet so that in your case the numerical value 36 is still there. But this is actually 36m and not 36ft. We regret this fault very much, but unfortunately, we cannot offer you a proper workaround at the moment. The only way would be to use the metric system instead of the imperial one.

Our strategy for the future is, that DIALux evo is the successor of DIALux 4.13 and we only developing DIALux evo in the future, but we will continue the support of our DIALux 4.13 software.

However, no new features will be implemented in our DIALux 4.13 software. We will only react to errors and requirements with new operating systems.

Best regards,
DIAL Support Team