Problems with luminaire size when using IES import

guilhem.dubois

Problems with luminaire size when using IES import

Post by guilhem.dubois » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:08 pm

Dear all,

I'm trying to calculate illumination values using a custom luminaire designed by my company (Blackbody OLED). The luminaire size is very large (L=10m ; W=1m), because the luminaire is used to illuminate a long 15m corridor.
The luminaire is described by a custom IES file, with the luminaire size information properly filled.

However, when I perform the calculation using Dialux 4.12, only the central part of the corridor is correctly illuminated. It seems that, when DIAL does the computation, all of the light originates from the geometrical center of the luminaire. Instead, I would like the light to be evenly distributed on the whole surface of the luminaire. For some reason, this is not the case.

Does anyone has an idea of the reason why it is like that?

Thanks.

Guilhem.

Csuleiman

Re: Problems with luminaire size when using IES import

Post by Csuleiman » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:04 pm

Dear Guilhem,

We wonder if you could provide us with the DIALux project and the IES file. It would also be of help if you could also send us some screenshots showing the problem in details. Please send all data with a link to this posting to support@dial.de.

Best regards,
DIAL Support Team

Csuleiman

Re: Problems with luminaire size when using IES import

Post by Csuleiman » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:34 am

Dear Guilhem,

Thank you very much for sending us the IES file and the project.
The IES file only includes information data about the light emitting object (LEO) and not about the geometry of the housing. In your case the LEO has a length of 12.87m and a width of 1.49m.
The problem is caused by the behaviour of DIALux 4.13. DIALux4 intreprets the length of the LEO till 10m. In DIALux evo the result is much better as you can see in the screenshot below.
IES in evo.jpg
IES in evo.jpg (19.47 KiB) Viewed 846 times
An alternative way would be to split the luminaire in two photometry files which could be fit togehter manually in DIALux 4.

Best regards,
DIAL Support Team