Dialux Evo 5.1 Update failed

ted7234889

Dialux Evo 5.1 Update failed

Post by ted7234889 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:24 pm

Hi, I downloaded the updated, it ran through the install ok, but at the end I had a message to say close all open instances of Evo, when I did that the install setup itself closed without updating.

ted7234889

Re: Dialux Evo 5.1 Update failed

Post by ted7234889 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:30 pm

My virus checked Symantec Endpoint Protection reports this installation as a virus

Suspicious. Cloud.5.Cloud.5 DIALux.exe

Ted

astorres6030

Post by astorres6030 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:38 pm

Had the same problem.
Have no idea how to solve this...

kvkozierowski

Post by kvkozierowski » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:41 am

Hi all,

this is a known issue with Norton/Symantec anti virus and the DIALux evo setup, it happened with evo 4.1 and 5.0. Usually it takes some time until Symantec updates the virus signatures (I guess they add the special hash value of the setup to a kind of whitelist). Unfortunately we have no chance to control how anti virus products try to detect malware. I think it is a kind of heuristic trying to detect possible dangerous code (add/modify registry settings, installing files, modify access rights, install services, send data to a web server, ...).
We have some issues with another anti virus false positives too. In fact it detects an empty setup file as potential malware, we do not even need to add files to be installed :roll:

It is a false positive, you can add the setup (or the folder) to the exceptions that should not be scanned. After the installation you can safely remove the exception.
Just make sure to download the setup from our web site. We have signed the setup so you can be sure the software is from DIAL and not altered after we signed it (properties->digital signature).

Please feel free to report the false positive to Symantec, they are the only one who can solve this: https://submit.symantec.com/false_positive/

Regards
Kolja

ted7234889

Post by ted7234889 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:33 am

Thanks Kolja, I will try that later today.

Ted

astorres6030

Post by astorres6030 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:51 am

Got this answer from Symantec:

"Upon further analysis and investigation we have verified your submission and as such this detection will be removed from our products.

The updated detection will be distributed in the next set of virus definitions, available via LiveUpdate or from our website at http://securityresponse.symantec.com/av ... nload.html

Please note that whitelisting can take up to 24 hours to take effect.

Decisions made by Symantec are subject to change if alterations to the Software are made over time or as classification criteria and/or the policy employed by Symantec changes over time to address the evolving landscape.

If you are a software vendor, why not take part in our whitelisting program?
To participate in this program, please complete the following form: https://submit.symantec.com/whitelist".

kvkozierowski

Post by kvkozierowski » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:05 am

Hi,

Thank you very much for the feedback. I did not even know there is a "Whitelisting program". I think we will add this to our release process in the future to avoid these problems.

Thanks again for the information. :D
Kolja