Complex External Lighting Design

adam.newman

Complex External Lighting Design

Post by adam.newman » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:19 am

Hello,
I am currently required to work on an external refinery facility. This facility is made of up complex external pipework areas, plant and access walkway areas. I am currently restricted on mounting positions and heights that are making the design a struggle!

I am a firm Dialux 4 user in which I have used the program daily for the past 5 years.

I am currently importing the 3D DWG files and building up individual components as best I can to re-create a lighting scene which is taking a huge amount of time. This is also not very accurate as I am having to do this by eye in the 3D view as the drawings are too difficult and crowded to work using just side and plan views.

Currently I am having to split the 3D AutoCAD files into different layer drawings as these can be as large as 300mb. I am able to cut the file size down to 30-50 MB in most cases which the program can handle.
These layers are:
Plant/tank areas
Walkway/handrails
Pipework

The plant/tank and walkway/handrails are straight forward, but I am struggling with the pipework.

I know that Dialux can import object files, but due to the size, I am struggling to convert these. Is there a preferred way to convert from AutoCAD/ProgeCAD?

Is there a recommended different process I can take to complete this?
Will Dialux Evo provide me with any additional features?

Thanks,

Adam Newman

T.Magenheimer

Re: Complex External Lighting Design

Post by T.Magenheimer » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:34 am

Dear adam.newman,

The best way to manage such a project in our DIALux 4 software and our evo software is to import the refinery facility as a 3D object in our DIALux software as you mentioned it.

Unfortunately I can't give you any tips how you can convert a 3D AutoCAD file in .3DS file.

Kind regards,
Your DIAL Support Team