Feature Requests & a possible Emergency Lighting setup.

feel free to add wishes and suggestions
jphillips

Feature Requests & a possible Emergency Lighting setup.

Post by jphillips » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:34 pm

Here are a couple of things that I would like to see in DIALux evo:
  • The ability to reorder the rooms that I have created. Often times we like to get in to the lighting design process early in the project, and we can roll with changing the shape/extent of rooms, however we are put in a difficult place when the architect changes room numbers on us. We can update the room numbers, but in the documentation, the rooms will still be in the original order. Right now the only solution to this problem is to delete the rooms and recreate them in the proper numerical order, which is not very practical. If we could reorder the rooms in the documentation tab, we could accommodate these changes, and our documentation would be much easier to follow along with.
  • The second thing on my wish list is to be able to have multiple calculation objects within a room. We do a lot of hospitality projects that include both a kitchen and a bar. Local codes require that we meet differing light levels for where active cooking work occur, where cleaning occur, and where just standard storage, and the same for where drinks are made, etc. so being able to subdivide these areas would be great. This would allow us to have a page in documentation that shows the overall light levels for the room, but then breaking out and indicating this is where this action A occurs, and it meets requirement A etc.
  • Third thing... I've seen a couple of comments on the forum asking for a method of Emergency lighting calcs. One workaround that I've used in our office, which may not work for every one..., but I use the scenes feature. Some of the projects that we have worked on prefer using a integral battery pack on a fixture rather than a dedicated emergency wall pack because it provides a cleaner look. When we do this, I create a scene that is called emergency, and set two different luminaire groups: Powered off, and Emergency Light. Usually we can count on the battery pack providing about 80% or so of standard output so we dim the Emergency Light group to 80 and the Powered off to 0. After that point every fixture in the project goes into the Powered off group in the emergency scene, and we selectively add fixtures to the Emergency Light group as needed to meet code requirements. The only snag is there is no good way to output these results because of two things, the room retains it's assessment zone profile, so it reads as underlit (If you could switch to an emergency level assessment zone, that would be solved), and as of yet, I haven't found a way to output the results of various scenes to the documentation, so you just get the primary scene calculation on your PDF. (if you could show the results of many calculated scenes, that would solve the second problem.)

T.Magenheimer

Re: Feature Requests & a possible Emergency Lighting setup.

Post by T.Magenheimer » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:42 am

Dear jphillips,

Thank you for your feedback! We will add your wish to our improvement list of evo.

Best regards,
DIAL Support Team

kvkozierowski

Post by kvkozierowski » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:36 am

Hello jphillips,

Thank you for your feedback.
I think your second and third point on your list are already possible in evo.

Point 2: You can use additional assessment zones and/or additional calculation surfaces to achieve this.

Point 3: It is possible to get outputs for additional light scenes, but you need to activate it in the light scene tool:
lightscene_output.PNG
lightscene_output.PNG (48.88 KiB) Viewed 279 times
Best regards
Kolja

jphillips

Post by jphillips » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:12 pm

Thanks for your quick response! :D

I’m worried that this might quickly turn into something that belongs in the ‘How to’ section of the forum.

I tried to create additional assessment zones, and was successful, but was unable to give the additional zone an application type (or just a target) so that I could take advantage of the validation tools in the Results Overview pane. Like so…
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (13.4 KiB) Viewed 256 times
Thanks for the heads-up on the generate outputs for this light scene. Just one more question, is it possible to show in the documentation the luminaires contained by a group?

kvkozierowski

Post by kvkozierowski » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:12 am

Hello,

You can change the application in the assessment zone tool:
appl.PNG
appl.PNG (86.17 KiB) Viewed 253 times

It is not possible to see the luminaire groups in the output but you can get the control groups in the output:
controlgroup.PNG
controlgroup.PNG (57.66 KiB) Viewed 253 times
The control groups are internally calculated from the luminaire groups of all light scenes. They show which luminaires should be wired/controlled together.

Best regards
Kolja