Dialux not utilizing GPU in calculations

crashes, error report
Wimads2

Dialux not utilizing GPU in calculations

Post by Wimads2 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:57 am

Hello,

I have a laptop with an nvidia GTX 1660i with 6GB memory. And I noticed while monitoring task manager during a calculation, that dialux does not seem to utilise the gpu at all (0% constantly, though GPU engine "GPU 0 - 3D" is assigned.)

I have set dialux to use the nvidia graphics card in the nvidia control panel.

Your FAQ mentions that for hardware specifications, graphics card is most important of all. So why does it not seem to be utilized during calculation? Something going wrong on my system?

Wimads2

Re: Dialux not utilizing GPU in calculations

Post by Wimads2 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:21 am

Ok so I figured out that "GPU 0" means the integrated Intel graphics card, it should be using GPU 1 which is my GTX1660i. So despite it being set to use the nVidia card in the nvidia control panel, it is using the integrated one. I have an Intel Core i7-9750H CPU, with integrated Intel UHD Graphics 630.

So why is it using the integrated card instead of the nVidia?

Edit, sorry let me list my complete system specifications:

- Dialux EVO 9.0
- Windows 10 Pro 64bit
- Intel Core i7-9750H
- Intel UHD Graphics 630
- nVidia GTX1660i 6GB
- 16GB ram (2x8Gb)
- 500GB SSD

Wimads2

Post by Wimads2 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:44 am

Any thoughts on this?

Basically there is two problems:

1. It is using the wrong graphics card (integrated instead of dedicated), despite being set to use the dedicated card in nvidia control panel.
2. Regardless of which card is being used, it seems it is not at all utilizing graphics card in calculations - as monitored in task manager.

Problem with my system or with dialux itself?

kvkozierowski

Post by kvkozierowski » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:12 am

Hello,

It is not a problem, neither with your system nor with DIALux. DIALux does use only the CPU to calculate the results, the GPU is not used. The GPU is only used to display the objects in the CAD and for some shader effects.

I think what is meant with "most important" is that the graphics adapter driver needs to support OpenGL 3.2 which is still an issue on many systems. But I agree that the FAQ is misleading in this aspect.

Best Regards
Kolja

Wimads2

Post by Wimads2 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:01 pm

kvkozierowski wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:12 am
Hello,

It is not a problem, neither with your system nor with DIALux. DIALux does use only the CPU to calculate the results, the GPU is not used. The GPU is only used to display the objects in the CAD and for some shader effects.

I think what is meant with "most important" is that the graphics adapter driver needs to support OpenGL 3.2 which is still an issue on many systems. But I agree that the FAQ is misleading in this aspect.

Best Regards
Kolja
Ok, thanks for clarifying that!

As for my first question, during 3D modeling in Dialux, it is using my integrated card instead of the nVidia. I suppose modeling in Dialux is not that demanding, and thus the nvidia card decides it isn't required and lets the integrated card handle it?

kvkozierowski

Post by kvkozierowski » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:06 am

I do not know exactly how the system decides which graphics apdater to choose, but I guess you are correct.

I myself use a rather old integrated GPU with evo even so the system has a more powerful GPU available. In most cases this works just fine. If you construct very big scenes with many complex 3d models you might want to switch the GPU for a better (faster) visualisation.

Best Regards
Kolja