IFC import from Revit to DIALux

crashes, error report
AC96

IFC import from Revit to DIALux

Post by AC96 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:20 am

Hi everyone!

I was trying to export a sample project with a curtain wall, a glazed roof, and some lightdomes from revit to DIALux by an 2x3 Coordination View IFC file.
Revit.JPG
Revit.JPG (163.11 KiB) Viewed 471 times
After to import to DIALux the IFC file, I checked it in BIM vision how revit exported the geometries: the Curtain Wall like an IfcCurtainWall, with each panel like an IFCPlate, the glazed rood link an IFC Slape and the lightdomes like an IfcWindow.
Bim Vision.JPG
Bim Vision.JPG (118 KiB) Viewed 471 times
IFC Curtain Wall.JPG
IFC Curtain Wall.JPG (56.77 KiB) Viewed 471 times
Finally I imported the file into DIALux, but the result is that it doesn't read the elements!! It show me the tranparency of the elements, but when I finished the analysis the rooms were totally darks.
It calculates the only rooms with two simply windows on the wall, and I didn't understand the reason.

I read in this article https://evo.support-en.dial.de/support/ ... ifc-import
that DIALux supports elements like Curtain wall, but when I import it I can't select the elements.

My hypothesis are:
- I exported with wrong settings from Revit, maybe I had to specify during the exportations paremeters like the transparency of the element.
- In the case of the lightdome, I thought that the IFC window needs an host element like a roof, but the roof in Bim Vision results like an IFC Slab (effectively, in a real construction it's forbidden to put a lightdome in a floor!)
- The glazed roof, like the panels of the curtain walls, are recognize like IFC Plate, that is support in DIAlux but maybe doesn't have transparency.

I think that someone already tried to export curtain walls or something like this for the analysis, so I hope someone can help me, it would be grateful!!

AC96

Re: IFC import from Revit to DIALux

Post by AC96 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:37 am

I add some pics more, to explain better the problem.
Attachments
Analysis.JPG
Analysis.JPG (21.51 KiB) Viewed 465 times
DIALux file.JPG
DIALux file.JPG (16.83 KiB) Viewed 465 times

T.Magenheimer

Re: IFC import from Revit to DIALux

Post by T.Magenheimer » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:52 am

Dear AC96,

Regarding the IFC import, we can only give you the following information:

So far, we have only implemented a beta version of the IFC import in our evo software. Therefore, there may still be problems with the import attempt of some IFC files.

Evo requires at least one building with floors and walls. Without a (logical) building, the import is aborted. After importing the IFC file into evo, an error message is displayed, which means that no building with valid geometry was found.

You can read the basic requirements for a good IFC import in our evo knowledge base:

http://evo.support-en.dial.de/support/s ... ifc-import\

In DIALux, however, we absolutely require these logical components. E.g. because we need rooms for working planes or ceilings as mounting surfaces for luminaires. If only surfaces arrive in DIALux, an IFC building would be nothing more than an object created with Sketchup as a 3DS. However, the 3D object import is available for this purpose. The special feature of IFC is the transfer of logical information in order to continue working with this data. E.g. room book creation, mass determination etc.

You can find a "rule-compliant" BIM/IFC example here:

http://www.bimcollab.com/en/support/sup ... -templates

You can download the IFC model as a ZIP file from this page. The ZIP is about 30MB in size.

Attached is a link to download the bimcollab building imported into DIALux and designed with light.

https://b2b.dial.de/index.php/s/j27GQZyJkjCVqp0

The fact is that CAD programs do not yet have a uniform line in the restriction to create a BIM file. Some force the user to work with logical elements, i.e. to create a plot, ceiling, wall, etc., while other programs allow the planner to build a house from a number of cuboids (LEGO bricks) and then save the sum of the cuboids as a "house" in an IFC. Of course, there is no logical information in the "cuboids", e.g. "I am a part of the wall between room 2 and room 3. I am built of the following layers and my fire resistance is XXX".

However, DIALux currently requires these logical elements in the IFC. We will check if we can be less restrictive in the future. But this will automatically lead to the fact that such "undefined" IFC files have to be attributed by the user in a dedicated way. This will probably be quite time-consuming.

This picture shows the structure of a problematic IFC file. In the circle you can see that there are no building objects like floor, wall, window, joist or similar included.
Screenshot 1.jpg
Screenshot 1.jpg (125.12 KiB) Viewed 430 times

In this example you see a correct IFC structure with 1: building, 2: floors, 3: walls and so on.
Screenshot 2.jpg
Screenshot 2.jpg (129.86 KiB) Viewed 430 times

Best regards
Your DIAL Support Team