Dialux Evo 9 Pro

questions regarding the handling of DIALux evo. (features, tools, options, settings)
ponkumaresh

Dialux Evo 9 Pro

Post by ponkumaresh » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:46 am

Hi

After having used dialux and dialux evo from their introduction for over 10 years, i am feeling disappointed with the compulsions of subscribing to Pro version...

Even the basic options of portrait/landscape is removed, including multiple 3d views in the report has been removed.

Can't change any of the calculation object parameters! like, no. of points etc

Ultimately what DiAL is telling me is that i can do whatever lighting design i want but output is on Subscription basis only even if i want to create my own set of output design..

Don't understand the point of Evo if I am unable to use 3d views of my design in my output...

Just last week trained my team of 7 to use Evo instead of Dialux or relux... What a shame!

Thanks and regards
Pon
Pon

kvkozierowski

Re: Dialux Evo 9 Pro

Post by kvkozierowski » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:51 am

Hi Pon,

Thank you for your feedback.

I think there are some misunderstandings:
1. The portrait/landscape switch has been removed because the new layouts are designed to fit in one orientation only. If you would just change the orientation of the page the layout would not match. There are some pages which have a landscape layout alternative. This has nothing to do with Pro or not Pro, the Pro version does not bring the portrait/landscape switch back.

2. Of course you can use your 3d views in the documenation. The feature was not removed but you can find it on the "Cover page" and "Description" page now.

3. You can change the calculation object parameters like number of calculation points in the calculation object tool. It works exactly the same way as in evo 8.2.

4. We are sure that the new documentation layout is far better than the old one and it should be an improvement for every user. You do not need pay anything to use evo!

If you need your own corporate design layout you now have the additional option to subscribe to the Pro version and do this. This is nothing every user needs and nothing that was possible in older versions and we now charge for.
If you do not need the Pro version or you think it is too expensive or it does not offer what you need, you do not need to buy it. You will get a great documenation from evo even without paying a single cent.

Best regards
Kolja

ponkumaresh

Post by ponkumaresh » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:39 pm

Dear Kolja

Thanks for the response.. No misunderstanding, at least from my side..

1. What if I want landscape as my default orientation because all the 3d views are more legible and i don't have to separately save images and create another design document. Why will i want some pages in portrait and some in landscape?

2. Only the first image is in the cover/description pages, rest are like thumbnails!

3. I can have false color/ value chart/isolines/ value grid as separate visuals, now calculation object comes will all these superimposed in the same image. What if i don't like the font or the size of the font?

4. Pro/Basic license, it is not a good sign when you say unilaterally that the new documentation is far better! Why should DIAL tell me what orientation/font/size is pleasing to me? One size doesn't fit all...

When the users not are given these basic choices and then for the first time in more than 15 years, a pro version is launched, naturally it is assumed that everything is available in pro version and not in basic license..

I wanted to send some of my design reports as examples to show why i am not impressed with the new documentation.... unable to add pdf attachments...

Thanks and regards
Pon
Pon

kvkozierowski

Post by kvkozierowski » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:23 pm

Dear Pon,

Thanks for your answer.

1. We have optimized the layout for the content that is presented. For the pages where drawings are shown that might better fit on a landscape orientation there are two layout alternatives to choose from. Are there cases where the old layout was "better"? Yes, that is possible. However, this might happen with all changes that we implement in the software. We have received feeback in the past that the documenation does not look good and that you cannot show it to the customers and that they are not designed properly. We changed it and implemented a much more strict layout to get a more cleaned up look and now someone else complains that the old version was better. ;) I guess there is not the one solution that is best for each and every user. If it really is something that disturbs the normal work, we will find a solution that will allow everybody to get pleasing results. Please keep in mind, that this is the first version of the new layouts and there are hundreds of thousend users with different needs and preferences.
If it is just a matter of taste, then perhaps the Pro feature offers you the possibility to implement your own layout that looks exactly as you wish. You do not need to use the documentation "for the average DIALux user" you can use the design that is exactly as you like it.

2. I have read this a couple of times now. Perhaps this is one of the things we will change very soon. Again, there is no perfect solution for every user. Sorry if it does not suit your needs.

3. We changed this because we got massive feedback that there are way to many separate chartings and that the documentation is way to long. Perhaps it is a normal problem, just the people that do not like something speak about it but the people that are happy do not say this. If you do not like the font or the size of the font. Well I guess it is the same as in the old version. You cannot change the font of the documentation. You can with Pro now but it is your descision if the new font looks so terrible that you would like to subscribe to the Pro feature. We changed the font because in the past we used a font that not every user had installed and we were not allowed to distribute. If the font was missing you sometimes got these nasty "tofu blocks", especially with some eastern asia unicode systems (Japanese, Korean, ...).

4. Well, this is just my point of view. Of course you are free to disagree with this opinion. Our goal was that the new standard layout will be "better" for the normal user than the old one. There is no intention to force anybody to buy something. Well, you are right there is no perfect solution for everybody, however it is not something we changed in the evo 9 to boost the Pro feature subscriptions. There was never an option to change the font and/or size of the text in evo.
If you think that you will get a job for a lighting design that will earn you perhaps some hundreds or thousands Dollar/Euros..., when you have your unique special designed layout, you now can subscribe to the Pro feature, spend some money and time and do this. If you do not think it is worth it, you can use the standard layout like before or edit the documenation in another program afterwards like the workflow in the evo 8.2.

I guess it is understandable that some users get the impression that we changed it just to sell the Pro feature. It was the other way around, we wanted to change the technique for the documentation because we could not implement better layouts with the old implementation. Now we have the possibility to offer individual layouts to the users that really need it, it was not possible before. In fact one point because the layout editing feature is not free for all is because it is not a trival task to get good results and it needs constant work to maintain the interface, documenation etc in evo. We do not have the ressources to do this for free for 300.000 users with individual needs and wishes.

You can send your examples and annotions what you do not like per e-mail to support@dial.de. We are always happy to receive constructive feedback to improve DIALux.

Best regards
Kolja

namles34

Post by namles34 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:46 am

views option of 8.2 is far and far better than 9.0.

kvkozierowski

Post by kvkozierowski » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:02 am

Thank you for your very valuable feedback!

ponkumaresh

Post by ponkumaresh » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:57 pm

Thanks for your response..

Dialux Evo is your software.. you are free to do whatever you want with it..

Please carry on as you wish...

Thanks and regards
Pon
Pon

NJR

Post by NJR » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:41 am

I might just create my own software to export the dialux file into for PDF documentation. A lot of the templates don't even have the text/lines centred within the page... I'll stick with 8.2 for now.

If you guys are going down a subscription route, you should really keep up with Relux and offer Revit plugins as an example which justify my money, not a PDF tool :lol:

Csuleiman

Post by Csuleiman » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:50 am

Hello all,

Thank you very much for your numerous constructive criticism and suggestions for improvement. Our product owners will of course take your wishes into account in the development of the upcoming evo versions. We hope that in the future we will be able to meet all the requirements that our lighting designers place on our software.

To keep the threads in the DIALux board manageable, we will block this thread for further comments. We would be pleased if you would continue to be so active in the forum and post your problems, questions and wishes in new threads.

Stay safe!

Best regards,
DIAL Support Team