Need help with technical requirements for DIALux (PC build)

jkml

Need help with technical requirements for DIALux (PC build)

Post by jkml » Wed May 05, 2021 11:00 am

Hey everyone,

I have a few questions regarding technical requirements for DIALux. So, my issue is that I want to build/buy a PC for a person who's working on a uni project in DIALux (version 4, not EVO, since that's uni's requirement). Yet, since the v.4 is quite outdated I'm not sure whether what I'm trying to build makes sense. I reckon that DIALux EVO is simply a CAD-type of software. Is it the same for the v.4? I'm opting towards the newer Ryzen 7 CPUs since these are 8-core 16-thread processors but I'm not sure if this software will even make use of such CPU.

The project is quite complex with a lot of small elements and the laptop that this person was using (i5 low-voltage CPU, 8GBs RAM, some external Nvidia GPU, SSD on SATA) turned unusable at one point with software being extremely laggy. Then they used my PC which is slightly better (MSI R9 270x 2GB, Ryzen 1200, 16 GBs of RAM, SSD on M.2) but it also gets laggier and laggier. And I'd really love to help in this case but, at the same time, I don't want to splash bucks for something that won't help if that makes sense. Oh, and opening and saving the project takes ~15 minutes at this point which is also quite annoying.

All in all, I'd love to get some input into how DIALux works from a technical standpoint and what components I can leverage to make it work more smoothly.

Cheers,
Jakub

Csuleiman

Re: Need help with technical requirements for DIALux (PC build)

Post by Csuleiman » Thu May 06, 2021 8:00 am

Hello Jakub,

Please have a look at the following article of our DIALux knowledge base, which gives you an overview of the system requirements:
https://dialux4.support-en.dial.de/supp ... quirements

As you may have noticed, these are the minimum system requirements for DIALux 4.13, which, after all, are now far surpassed by any commercially available computer system.

DIALux 4.13 is 64-bit compatible, but still a 32-bit application that can require up to 2 GB. DIALux's calculation engine does not support dual-core. Of course, we use the libraries in MS-dev-Studio for multicore use. However, the radiosity calculation cannot be accelerated by the multicore CPU.
With a 64-bit operating system, more memory can be allocated. A complex calculation in DIALux means working with a lot of main memory. If the main memory is completely occupied, the slower hard disk memory is used. Thus, a 64-bit operating system with 8 GB RAM offers you faster calculation of large projects.
Since DIALux 4 is based on an outdated development architecture, a high-end computer does not bring a very big gain when working with this software. We can therefore only strongly recommend using our DIALux evo software for more complex DIALux projects.

Best regards,
DIAL Support Team

jkml

Re: Need help with technical requirements for DIALux (PC build)

Post by jkml » Thu May 06, 2021 6:03 pm

Thanks for a quick response :)

I see, unfortunately switching to evo is not an option for now. I've tested it on the 5600x Ryzen with 32GBs of RAM and there's no difference between this setup and a 6x cheaper CPU. Is there any way to make it less laggy/more efficient? As at this stage of the project it's pretty much unusable ;p